Binderim's Blog

Thursday, October 26, 2006

"Security" Gone Too Far

I received this letter from a woman in Illinois who experienced the new attitudes and procedures that are being put in place as the Republican majority continues to sling rhetoric and venom regarding their anti-immigrant stances. In the process, these attitudes are dividing families--REAL PEOPLE. It is these types of situations that embolden my commitment to sensible immigration reform and National Security achieved through real intelligence, rather than judgments based on little to no information. We must be proactive--it is the responsible, meaningful way of achieving reform and security.

Dear Mr. Binderim:


I am writing to you not with the desire for you to feel you have to respond but rather to let you know what it is like to be married into a family that was recently separated due to the immigration issues we have here in the United States. I am attaching a letter that I emailed to all of the Senators possible in the state of Illinois within the districts that I am allowed to write.

The letter that I have enclosed explains what happened to my family on October 15, 2006. In short my in-laws arrived at O’Hare International airport at 7:11pm, some 6 hours later after being verbally abused by Immigration Officers at the airport – Immigration decided it was in the best interest of the United States that these 2 very innocent people, be returned to Mexico because the feared that they would over stay their welcome. The only reason they were coming to the United States was to take a family vacation with my family to celebrate my parents 40th wedding anniversary. We were all to go to Arizona.


Now with much disappointment, everyday I have to explain to my 5 year old daughter that I am working as hard as I can to get her grandparents back here. From what I have been informed by our attorney it looks like the only way to fight any of this is to make my in-laws legal US residents so this way my kids can see them in about a year instead of 5 – you would think that they were horrible criminals that tried to do something unbelievable to the US with the way that they were treated.

And its all legal – who would have thought that Americans could be so horrible to 2 innocent people trying to visit their son and also to their son who was patiently waiting for them at the airport. And the reality of this whole disaster – if I had been at the airport with them – this would have never happened because I am as white as you can get - that just proves how raciest our country has become. The immigration officers would have taken one look at me and said okay – but because my husband was there and I was at home – they were just as rude to him.

And according to Dennis Hastert’s office, because my husband just became a citizen in July – that is probably what set the whole thing in motion – so much for being a US citizen this day in age – it doesn’t do anything for anyone. I know Mr. Hastert’s office isn’t really the best place to start seeing how he is opposed to immigrants in the first place, but they were the first that have responded to my email from last Thursday. I should have known that they would have been rude to me as well, since one less Mexican in the country would make them happier.

I appreciate your time and apologize for going on. I read on your website your views about immigrants and thought you might be interested in what really does happen in the United States to innocent people. Thanks again and have a wonderful day.


Kim Velasquez
Chicago, IL

Here's the letter she sent to elected officials.

October 19, 2006

To the Illinois State Representatives:

It is with great sadness and disappointment in United States Government that I feel the need to write to each of you about a very unfortunate incident that happened to my family on Sunday, October 15, 2006.

For being a white Caucasian born and raised in the state of Illinois, it is very hard to explain to my now citizen husband, who was originally born and raised in Mexico that his parents CAN be removed from O’Hare International Airport for no reason.

My in-laws tried to arrive on Sunday, October 15, 2006 at 7:11pm. By 9:30pm it was apparent that there were some issues going through customs/immigration, but we had no understanding as to what the problem really was. By 1:30am my husband was on his way home from the airport and his parents were going to be put on a plane back to Mexico at 2:00am. Still without real explanation we had no clue why this has happened. After 7 years of them coming back and forth from Mexico into O’Hare for about 6 months at a time each time, without any problems, nothing made sense. Besides the fact they were issued brand new VISAS and PASSPORTS on 4/17/06.

The Immigration Officers tried to force them into signing documentation that was untruthful, they verbally harassed my in-laws, and only to find out yesterday through a lawyer – that in the UNITED STATES – this is actually legal. WOW! I had no idea that I was born and raised into a country that is so evil, and would allow Officers to have some much authority that they can verbally abuse and scare people and its okay – especially when they are completely innocent people, have never done anything wrong in their own country let alone ours. And yet the people that would rather blow-up planes/buildings can just keep coming into the country. WOW! That’s all I can really say.

The United States has given this grand power to the WRONG people. They get to just choose for example: Okay you are the 539 person to come through today and we have only sent 13 people back to their countries – we really need to have 15 people for the day sent back to the countries of origin – guess it is your lucky day to be abused by the UNITED STATES!. That makes me sick!


My in-laws are wonderful people, with no record of any kind, and all they wanted to do was come and see their grandchildren and take a vacation with us and my family to Arizona the week of Thanksgiving to celebrate my parent’s 40th wedding anniversary.

And now thanks to each of you and the rest of Congress/Government/The United States – my innocent 5 year old and 2 year old – have to suffer without their grandparents on the first vacation for all of us together – because of this ultimate power that you have given the Immigration Officers at the airports – THANK YOU, THANK YOU very much for breaking 2 little girls hearts over NOTHING! Makes me so proud to be an American! And now knowing that there is nothing, no appealing, nothing that can be done by one huge STUPID mistake of 2 Immigration Officers. THANKS! I hope each of you have a wonderful Thanksgiving with each of your families ~ knowing my little girls are suffering from not seeing their grandparents.

Sincerely,

Kim Velazquez